Monday, May 6, 2013

I Can Memorize Bible Verses!

During all my years of illness, the Bible has been my lifeline. I read it every day for hope, strength and encouragement. But for years, as much as I wanted to, I just couldn't memorize it. 

With chronic illness, the body often goes into "survival" mode, which means it only focuses on truly essential functions (eating, breathing, sleeping). Things like concentration or deep thinking aren't absolutely necessary, so the body doesn't allot any energy for them. 

While in "survival" mode, you learn to just get through each day, not even trying to push yourself to think hard or do anything "extra." It's frustrating and difficult. Some days I would read the same Bible passage over and over, hoping to get one encouraging thought to stick in my head. Memorizing wasn't something I even attempted. 

Then about a year ago, after I'd been doing the DNRS brain program for a few months, I decided to try memorizing verses again. And I was surprised and delighted when it came easily for me!!! The words stayed in my mind, and I could easily recall them. It was amazing! 

For those of you living in "survival" mode, I totally understand. But I want to encourage you that as you continue in a healing process, one day you will come out of "survival" mode. You'll be able to enjoy life and thrive once again! 

Now I try to spend a few minutes every day memorizing, and I've found it's actually very good for my brain. I am so thankful that at long last I Can memorize Bible verses! 


Here's one I memorized not long ago that always encourages me: 

But our citizenship is in heaven and we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who by the power that enables Him to bring everything under His control. will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like His glorious body.
-Philippians 3:20-21

No comments:

Post a Comment