Thursday, February 3, 2011

Oil Change

For years I used only canola oil and olive oil in cooking and on my food. Some people told me about many dangers of canola oil, while others held that it was healthy for the body.

Well, last year I decided to do more research. Again, I found people standing adamantly on both sides of the issue. However, I also discoverd that canola oil comes from a plant that has been genetically modified (though some websites claim some canola oil was only naturally hybridized). Certainly if a plant has been genetically altered, we know it is a serious health risk. (I've heard that soybeans are the #1 genetically modified plant in this country. Definitely a good reason to avoid soy products.)

Considering all of the information about the possible dangers of canola oil, I decided it was wiser to remove this oil completely from my diet.

At the same time, I discovered many health experts recommending coconut oil. This oil is anti-fungal, anti-viral, good for the immune system, and more.... It is also great for cooking since it is the only oil stable enough for high cooking temperatures. It is excellent for cooking & baking, putting on food instead of margarine or butter, and even rubbing on the skin.

After reading all this great information, I decided to make the switch from canola oil to coconut oil, and I'm very glad I did. =)

If you want to read more about coconut oil, Dr. Mercola has tons of great information on his website, including a list of requirements for the kind of coconut oil you should buy (not all coconut oil is created equal). Here are his recommendations:

• Certified organic by USDA standards
• No refining
• No chemicals added (including hexane)
• No bleaching
• No deodorization
• No hydrogenation
• Made from traditional coconut palms only, no hybrid or genetically modified (GMO) varieties
• Made from fresh coconuts, not the dried "copra" used in cheap oils
• Made without heat processing
(from: http://products.mercola.com/coconut-oil/)

If you're still using canola, vegetable, or other possibly harmful oils, I hope you'll check out this info and decide it's time to get your oil changed. =) You'll be thankful for all the great health benefits that come with it!

(As a side note, I do still use olive oil, but only for putting on my food, not for cooking.)

No comments:

Post a Comment