Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Religion & Healthcare

For what it's worth, I'd like to share a perspective God has given me about our modern healthcare system. These are things God has shown me through my health trial, through painful experiences, and through long-term observation.

I hope this post will be of some value to you. It breaks my heart to see others going down the same road of pain and suffering I've been on. I long to do anything I can to help people avoid that if at all possible.

I know many doctors sincerely want to help people, however most of them are unable to do so mainly because our "modern" medical system is bankrupt.

Let me explain. Most doctors today have a wrong foundation for the practice of medicine. Almost all of them were trained in schools that taught 'medicine' from an evolutionary world view. On the surface, this may not seem important, but whenever you take God out of the picture in any arena, you can be sure disastrous results will follow. (see Romans chapter 1:18-32)

The evolutionary world view thinks that things can just "happen" (like the "big bang" theory). This includes various health problems. I've heard this a lot in regard to arthritis, allergies, headaches, etc. -- "you just get them sometimes."
This world view also sees "new" diseases developing. And it thinks that man can come up with a better way to 'fix' our problems - thus the explosion of chemically manufactured drugs. There is more, but I think these are the basic flaws.

In contrast, a creation world view sees God as the Creator, and a world that operates by the laws of cause and effect. God is the first cause (Himself uncaused) and nothing just "happens." Everything has a cause & effect.
In addition, man is fearfully and wonderfully made. (Ps. 139:14) The human body was designed by God with the ability to heal and repair itself. And God has given us everything we need for LIFE and godliness (2 Pet. 1:3), which means what God created is useful for all the needs of our bodies.

I know this may sound too academic to really matter, but believe me, these are the hard-earned conclusions God has given me after many years of experience in the medical world and seeing very contrasting views of different doctors.
The doctors who have really helped me are the ones who are Christians and who believe in everything I mentioned above - that every health problem has a root cause, that the body is designed to heal, and that we must give the body what it needs from creation to help it heal - not from what man has manufactured.

Of course, there are some things in 'modern' medicine that are life-saving, and I'm not discounting those. But for almost all health issues, I believe it makes a huge difference which foundation you start with.

Healthcare without 'Religion' - or for our perspective, without a foundational belief in our Creator God - will be incomplete and ineffective, and in some cases even dangerous and life-threatening.

I think this a pivotal time for Christians to examine the way we think about these things and to ask God to change our perspective and understanding from an evolutionary world view of medical care to a creation, godly world view.
And I think it's important for us to seek out and pray for doctors who will help and serve the sick from the right foundation.

What you believe matters. And what your doctor believes matters. Let's bring God back into healthcare.

No comments:

Post a Comment