Monday, February 22, 2010

Detoxing 101

Hello. Yes, at long last I'm finally writing about detoxing! =)
First I want to say that I do not consider myself an expert on this subject. So far I haven't met anyone who is. I'm simply sharing what I've learned from experience, both good and bad, and what works for me.

There are many different methods for detoxing out there, including - detox supplements, herbal and homeopathic remedies, coffee enemas, chelation, sauna therapy, etc.
My personal opinion is that most of these things are actually stressful for the body, thus not the best or most effective methods. You definitely need dr supervision for chelation and sauna therapy. They can be powerful detoxers, but also can be risky.

I tried different ways to detox, including foot baths (with a special machine that pulls toxins out of your feet), rebounding, and supplements, but they either didn't work or made me feel much worse. One dr even told me that maybe my body wasn't capable of detoxing. (There are genetic studies about that and everything.)

Then God brought a dr along who taught my mom and I about lymphatic massage. What I learned amazed me! I've been doing lymphatic massage for about 9 months now and I'm very satisfied with the results. I think it's not only the best way to detox, but also the key that unlocks the body's natural detox system so that everything else you do to detox will be more effective.
I'll write a separate post about the massage next time.

Once I started doing the massage, my body was finally able to detox. So my detox program at the moment includes the following things:

* 2-3 massages a week, foot massages every day if possible (my mom does this for me, the techniques are not hard to learn)
If you don't have anyone who can massage you, then I recommend dry skin brushing. I haven't actually tried it myself yet because I've been doing the massage. But I have heard many good things about it. This website has great information and instructions for it -
http://www.naturalhealthtechniques.com/healingtechniques/Dry_Brushing_Technique.htm

* a detox bath every day (for most people 1-3 baths a week is probably enough)
There are different ways to do this. I use a mineral powder from my naturopath that helps pull toxins out through the skin. You can also use equal amounts of epsom salts and baking soda (1/4 cup each up to 1/2 cup each) or just epsom salts (1/2 cup) in a full tub of water, as hot as is comfortable for you, for 10-30 minutes depending on how you feel. The bath should feel good. If you start to feel uncomfortable it probably means the water is too hot or you've been in long enough. Rinse off well with a shower afterwards.
An important note - taking a bath (or shower) is like drinking a full glass of that tap water because the water is absorbed into your skin. So unless you have clean well water, it's vital to have a whole house water filter (you can get them at Lowes for about $50) or a shower filter (you can order them online at needs.com), or even both. If you don't filter out the chlorine and other chemicals in your tap water then taking a detox bath will actually cause you to absorb the chemicals from the water.

* rebounding (helps the lymphatic system also)
This is basically bouncing on a mini-trampoline or you can just bounce up & down on the balls of your feet. I only do about 1 minute of rebounding at a time, but I try to do it 2-3 tiimes a day. It depends on how it feels. If you start to feel sick after doing it, then decrease how long or how often you do it.

* exercise/sweating
Any exercise will help you detox, and sweating is a great way to get toxins out. Just remember to get a shower immediately after sweating. If you let the sweat dry on your body your skin will simply reabsorb the toxins that are in your sweat.

* stretching
You always hear about exercise but seldom about stretching. It's very important to help keep muscles, ligaments, etc. loosened up and not choking the lymphatic system. I do a simply stretching routine every day that takes about 3 minutes. I put it together using things I learned from aerobics, P.E., and my physical therapist. Find some stretches you're comfortable with put also push you a little. Then stick with it and try to add new ones now and then.


Well, there you have my recommendations for starting a detoxing program. The nice thing about these methods is that anyone can do them, at home, with little or no expense, not requiring a doctor (though having a dr who is knowledgeable about detoxing is always beneficial!) and with good results.

The last thing I want to say is just remember to listen to your body. When it comes to detoxing, pain is NOT gain. If it feels awful or painful - don't do it! Start slow. Don't push your body. Work with it.
If you are genuinely detoxing you will feel a little worse after your massage, bath, exercise, etc. because the toxins are coming out. But you shouldn't experience pain while doing those things. If you do, then slow down, back up, and do less. Give your body time to work out those toxins before you start the next detoxing step. Remember that it took years for toxins to build up in your body. It will take time for your body to push them out.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I've adjusted the settings on my blog so anyone can post comments now, even if you don't have a blogger id.
I really want this blog to be helpful, informative, and encouraging. I hope it is for you.

Happy Detoxing! =)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing your experience with detox. When I had someone to hike or bike with 3-4 times a week, who was very positive, I began feeling better. Also, with the Epsom baths. My doc prescribed a Magnetic Clay foot bath. Don't know about the machine. What is it called?? Have you tried the clay foot baths? I've also felt terrific paying $1 for one of those 5-minute massage chairs. Would love to buy one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I hope this post was helpful for you.
    I haven't tried the clay baths. I imagine some people are probably allergic to the clay, so it wouldn't be good for everyone.
    I still do a detox bath most days, but right now I'm using 1/2 cup of Bragg's Organic Apple Cider Vinegar instead of the mineral powder I used for a long time. Your body will benefit from different things at different times.
    Massage is a wonderful tool. I recommend the lymphatic massage, which isn't hard to learn. There are instructional videos online if you have a friend or family member who's willing to try to do the massage for you. If you're able, you can trade off giving massages with someone, then you both benefit! =)
    Laughter is also a wonderful healing tool. I was just watching some comedy videos online today. =)
    Keep up the good work! Your health is worth it! =)

    ReplyDelete