Thursday, June 6, 2013

Recipe for Oat Scones

Years ago I found a recipe for Scottish Oat Scones in an Amish cookbook. Since then I've adapted it to my needs and tweaked it several times. Here's the version I'm currently using. Give it a try and let me know what you think! =) 


Organic Oat Scones

2 cups organic rolled oats (I usually use Bob's Red Mill brand)
1 cup organic tapioca flour
5 tsp. aluminum-free baking powder
3/4 tsp sea salt (table salt is stronger, only 1/2 tsp needed, but I recommend the sea salt as it's much healthier)

1 egg (organic)
1/2 cup organic coconut oil
1/3 cup organic milk (sometimes I substitute with water if I don't have milk; almond milk might also work, though I haven't tried it) 
1 Tbl. honey
1 small package of organic blueberries (you can use more or less depending on how many blueberries you want per scone)

---
Alternate: instead of blueberries, you can add 3/4 cup of organic shredded coconut, but then you might have to slightly increase the amount of milk/water to get the right consistency.
---

Mix dry ingredients & make a well in the center. In a separate bowl beat egg until frothy. Then pour egg, milk, oil, & honey into the dry ingredients. Add blueberries and stir to make a soft dough. 

Place in well-greased (with organic coconut oil) dish - you can bake them in a pie plate or small casserole dish. (Be sure to use glass cookware, NOT teflon or "non-stick" pans.) 

Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until slightly browned. 
(FYI - our oven tends to overheat, so I always set it at 400, but if you're oven is correctly calibrated, you can probably bake them at 425, which is what the original recipe lists.)

After baked, let them cool, then cut into squares or pie-shaped wedges. 


Enjoy! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment