Saturday, May 14, 2011

Content

Living with Environtmental Illness requires constant adjustment and flexibility.

As my allergies and sensitivities have gotten worse, I've gradually had to make more and more adjustments, and every day requires flexibility in different ways.

Here are some of the unusual details of my E.I. life:

- Because of my sensitivity to certain kinds of fabrics and to fabrics manufactured in certain countries...I use organic, cotton T-shirts (made mostly in Central Americaa) as all-purpose material - for hand towels, bath towels, T-shirts of course, pillowcases, etc.

- Since practically all bedding now contains fire retardant (required by law), I use a pair of rolled-up jeans for a pillow. Not exactly cloud 9, but at least it's better than a rock. =)

- Sitting in a chair for very long is exhausting, so I haven't eaten a meal at the dining table in ages. I eat on my bed with my feet up.

- For too many reasons to list, my room is completely empty except for my mattress (which is on the floor) and an air purifier (and a mirror which is nailed to the wall).

- With my sensitivity to EMF's (electro-magnetic fields) we turned off the breaker to my room...which means we have to run extension cords from my mom's room through the hall into my room in order to plug in the air purifier. And I have no light in my room, (which isn't quite so bad now since it doesn't get dark so early).


Those are just a few of the crazy details of my E.I. life (and I haven't even started on what it's like for my mom since she has to live with me...it's no picnic for her either).

Sometimes I look around and realize just how far from "normal" my life is. All I can do is laugh at the absurdity of it...and keep adjusting and flexing.

But really, compared to a lot of people with E.I., I'm living in the lap of luxury! I have heat and a/c. I have air purifiers. I have an organic mattress. I have a computer I can use. I have my wonderful mom to take care of me! What more does a girl need, eh? (Well, a real pillow would be nice....) =)

This kind of life gives new meaning to Paul's words that "if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that." (1 Tim. 6:8)

The Lord always provides for my needs, even when it's through strange means. I hope I'm learning a kind of contentment that will last through any circumstances.

One day we'll be enjoying our mansions in heaven (with all organic products, right?). =) Until then, I pray whatever you're going through today, you will find contentment not in your cirucmstances, but in the God who cares for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment