Thursday, December 27, 2012

Fighting Colds & Flus


This time of year there are always a lot of bugs going around. This month I actually had about 10 good days in a row - praise God! Then I got a nasty sore throat/cold that I've been fighting the last few days. 

So I thought I'd share some tips for fighting these bugs:

- lots of rest and plenty of water, of course =)
- extra vitamin C
- eat some fresh organic fruit if you can - oranges, tangerines, apples, or berries, which are full of vitamins, enzymes and anti-oxidants
- avoid sugar (if you aren't already), because it suppresses the immune system
- detox baths (I use a mineral powder, but there are other things you can use as well, depending on what works best for your body - baking soda & epsom salts, essential oils, etc.)
- foot baths (with whatever substance mentioned above that works best for you)
- rub organic coconut oil on your feet, also I've been rubbing it on my throat and sinuses since that's where the pain was
- drinking 1/4 tsp of baking soda in a glass of water often helps settle an upset stomach
- hold an onion in your right hand (if you have a bacterial infection) or a garlic clove (if you have a fungal infection) - for around 5-10 minutes 
- gargle with mild salt-water for a sore throat
- watch a funny movie and at least smile even if you can't laugh =)
- get lots of hugs =)

As far as supplements, there are some helpful ones. Just remember that it's best to only start one new supplement at a time. Always check ingredient labels, and remember that some supplements work better for some people than others. Each body is unique, so find what works for you.
Here are some suggestions:
- Olive leaf extract can help fight infections
- Quercetin is a good antioxidant
- zinc can help the immune system
- sometimes extra B-vitamins can help during an infection
- extra probiotics may also be helpful

Well, I hope some of these ideas are helpful for you. I'm sure there are many other good things to do to fight infections. Please share any additional tips you have in the comments. Thanks! 

And I hope you have a healthy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment