Thursday, November 22, 2012

Celebrating Without Turkey


I was in a store the other day and heard a woman say "Have a Happy Turkey Day!" 

I think it's sad that anyone would say this. Not that there's anything wrong with turkey. But turkey is not what we're celebrating on this special Thursday in November. 

The pilgrims were not celebrating turkeys. They weren't celebrating any special food or even good times.

They were celebrating the goodness and faithfulness of God through years of hardship and trials.

During the last few years I haven't been able to celebrate Thanksgiving in the "traditional" ways. And I admit, it was challenging to be thankful while laying on my bed, alone, missing my family, craving some pumpkin pie....

But what I learned in those years is that our God is always worth celebrating - because He is GOOD! 

So even when it felt like I had nothing but God, He was all I needed to celebrate Thanksgiving in my heart. 

This Thanksgiving I'm looking forward to being with my family for the first time in several years! And though I won't be indulging in the traditional feast, I will be celebrating the goodness and faithfulness of my God - without turkey. =)

Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good;
    
His love endures forever. -Psalm 118:1


How have you learned to celebrate holidays in spite of E.I. limitations?

No comments:

Post a Comment