Friday, November 16, 2018

Thankful For Thanksgiving

Next week is Thanksgiving, one of my favorite holidays. I like the simplicity of it - a day to think about all we have to be thankful for.

Yet, I know life can be so tough sometimes. Many of my friends are going through difficult situations, grief, struggles, or suffering. I don't pretend life is always great and we should just be happy.

At the same time, I can testify that even in the hardest times of my life, I had much to be thankful for. I had my mom who reminded me to smile and shared what she was thankful for. I had people praying for me. I had God's Word always available for me. I had my heavenly Father who is sovereign over my life and everything I go through.

Every day I have unchanging truths, eternal hope, and an ever-present Savior.

I don't always stop to remember and appreciate these gifts, but they are always there.

So, I could use this post to quote statistics about how giving thanks is good for your brain, good for reducing stress levels, good for relationships, etc. But I don't think you need statistics to tell you that.

I think what we all need is a gentle nudge...

Have you given thanks today?
Is there someone you're thankful for who you can express appreciation to today?
What gifts from God can you remember and thank Him for today?

I believe thanksgiving itself is a gift from God. It really does change our attitude, refresh our perspective, and benefit our health.

So, I'm thankful for the technology which allows me to have this blog. =)
I'm thankful for every time God uses my life to encourage someone else.
I'm thankful for the many wonderful people I'm blessed to know.
I'm thankful that God loves me every day, no matter what.
And I'm thankful for Thanksgiving.

What are you thankful for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment