Thursday, April 24, 2014

Why You Need Magnesium


When I was very sick in high school, my doctor finally figured out that I was severely magnesium deficient. It was so bad that it didn't matter how many magnesium capsules I took, my body just wasn't absorbing it. So my doctor gave me a series of 8 magnesium IV's. It wasn't fun, but let me tell you, I felt like a new person after those! From then on I was able to maintain a healthy level of magnesium by taking supplements. 

Since then I've learned that certain foods can contribute to magnesium deficiency, mainly the nightshade vegetables (including: potato, tomato, eggplant, and some peppers). For several years I avoided these foods and noticed improvement in several symptoms. Now I can eat potatoes in moderation and tomatoes on occasion, but I still supplement with magnesium. 

Experts estimate that 80% of Americans today are suffering from magnesium deficiency. With the depletion of the soil, increasing consumption of junk food, and high stress levels, it's no wonder so many people are magnesium deficient.

Here's an excellent article that explains why magnesium is so important for your health, symptoms of deficiency and what you can do about it.  

Magnesium is essential for so many functions in the body. I generally recommend that everyone supplements with magnesium at some level. Certain people will need more than others, but I think almost everyone can benefit from it. For instance, my mom was having trouble with heart palpitations a couple of years ago. She started taking magnesium and they completely went away. They only recur if she forgets to take the magnesium for several days. That's only one example of how necessary sufficient magnesium is for the body.

So I hope you can find a good quality magnesium supplement and give it a try. Or at least try the epsom salts bath as recommended in the article. I think you'll be glad you did. =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment