Thursday, September 12, 2013

"You Need Your Rest"


You've probably heard this saying a lot in your life. I imagine those of us with chronic illness probably feel like we've had enough rest to last us a lifetime...and then some. I know once I started feeling better, I just wanted to go, go, go! So much to do, see, experience, etc. =) 

But the reality is that God created our bodies with the need for rest. We need consistent sleep at night (see last week's post). And we also need what the Bible calls a "Sabbath rest." 

When God created the world, He rested on the seventh day. Later He told His people to work for six days, then take a day off. 

It seems strange that this was so hard for people back then and is still hard for people today. You'd think we'd be grateful God told us to take a day off. What a kind, gracious God to not make us work every day!

God created our bodies, so obviously He knows what they need. And He's made it clear that we need a day off once a week.  

For those who already spend every day lying around (I've been there, I know how hard that is), perhaps your "day of rest" could simply be resting from complaining or worrying...or reading verses that encourage you...or some other way of "resting." (Please share any thoughts you have in the comments, I'd love to hear from you!)

For those of you who aren't confined to bed, do you take a day off once a week? Do you spend time resting physically and being refreshed emotionally and spiritually? 

For me the practice of a Sabbath is still developing. At first I only "rested" from any kind of writing, since that was about the only "work" I was able to do. Lately I've been trying to also rest from laundry (now that I can actually do laundry again!) =) I actually look forward to the day each week when I set aside my "to do" list and intentionally rest and relax. 

Our bodies, minds, and spirits need a Sabbath rest. It's an important piece of the overall health puzzle.

Robert Morris gave a wonderful message on this topic. I hope you'll listen and be inspired to either continue practicing a weekly Sabbath or perhaps begin this week. (I don't think it matters what specific day you choose to rest, as long as you do it.)

God has told us, "You need your rest." Let's take Him seriously.
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." -Jesus (from Matthew 11:28-29)

No comments:

Post a Comment