Thursday, May 30, 2013

"Doctor Burnout"


"Doctor burnout" in E.I. language refers to the condition that develops in us as patients when we've had enough of doctors. We've "been there, done that" too many times with unhelpful doctors--we're burned out on them.

I can fully relate to this condition. I consulted more than 40 doctors in 8 states during my years of illness. Some of them actually made me worse with their "treatment" methods. Others were no help. A few were a little bit of help, but not a full answer.

Gradually I got to the point where my mom had to force me to try a new doctor. I was fed up, and I honestly thought there was nothing anyone could do for me. 

Thankfully, my mom never gave up. And in His mercy, God finally led us to some health providers who gave us real answers and started me on the journey of healing. But I admit I'm still a little "doctor-shy" in general.   

The reality is that those with chronic illness do need a "doctor"--that is, we need someone with greater knowledge and experience than we have. That person could be an MD or an herbalogist or a wellness consultant, etc. I've discovered there are people with real answers in many different health disciplines. 

I think the best thing is to get personal referrals from people who have received real help from their health provider. And pray for God's clear direction about which people to work with. 

Also, know that it's okay to make your own decisions about your health. Learn everything you can from your health provider, follow their instructions when you have peace about it. But don't feel guilty if you can't do everything they say. You know your body better than they do. They are not all-knowing. They do the best they can, but ultimately YOU are the one who has to live with the decisions you make. So listen, be open-minded, pray, and then do what you believe God wants you to do.

If you're dealing with "doctor burnout" right now, be encouraged! There really are health providers out there who are helping people. It make take a while for you to find the right person for you (or persons--I've worked with several, putting their various methods together for the complete program that I needed), but don't give up. Keep doing what you can, moving forward one step at a time. And remember that God is truly the Great Physician. Let Him guide your decisions and know He will carry you through the difficult days. 

Even to your old age and gray hairs
    
I am he, I am he who will sustain you.
I have made you and I will carry you;
    
I will sustain you and I will rescue you.
-Isaiah 46:4


No comments:

Post a Comment