Monday, April 29, 2013

I Can Read Books


I know there are many people in the world who can't read or don't have access to books. After my experience of the last few years, I don't take reading for granted anymore. 

I've always been a bit of a bookworm. I usually have 3-5 different books I'm reading simultaneously. I enjoy both fiction and non-fiction.

But a few years ago I became so sensitive to paper products that I couldn't read books anymore. I kept reading my Bible (because I just couldn't live without it), but I couldn't read anything else for months. 

It was a difficult time. I find so much help and encouragement in reading other people's stories, experiences, and wisdom. Not being able to read books left a huge hole in my already limited life. 

During that time I read my Bible as much as I could. And in many ways it was good for me to only read the Bible for several months. 

But I was so happy when the day finally came that I could pick up a book again without reacting to the paper! The world outside my little room was accessible once again! 

Since then, I've probably read an average of 5-8 books a month. I'm so grateful for the gift of the written word! Books have helped to transform my life in many ways. So I rejoice and thank God that I Can read books!


Have you read any good books lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment