Thursday, October 30, 2014

Let Your Light Shine


This time of year it seems like there's more activity of darkness than usual. My mom and I often feel an increase of spiritual oppression and attack during October. I'm always grateful when November 1st comes and the focus turns to being thankful instead of 'celebrating' evil. 

The fact is that Satan will not stop his agenda of stealing and destroying as long as the earth endures. While it's tempting to want to ignore him, I think the Bible is clear that we are both commissioned and equipped to overcome his evil tactics.

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. -Romans 12:21

Those of us who believe in Jesus now live in God's light. 

When Jesus spoke again to the people, He said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” -John 8:12

We never again have to wander through spiritual darkness. And we have all we need to let God's glorious light shine through us. 

For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” made His light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ. But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. -2 Corinthians 4:6-7

Jesus lives in us. His light can shine through us to a world wandering in darkness. 

I know sometimes dealing with chronic illness can feel so limiting, so frustrating, like we've been robbed of so many things that 'normal' people take for granted. But Satan can never rob us of the light of Jesus living in us!! 

So I pray that whatever you're going through this week, you'll take some time today to focus on Jesus and to ask Him to shine His light through you. It doesn't have to be something big or difficult. 

*You can sing a praise song softly in your room. Other people may not hear it, but the spiritual forces of good and evil will hear it and Jesus will shine. 

*You can spend a few minutes praying for those still lost in darkness, or for those fighting hard to overcome evil in dark places around the world.

*You can quietly speak a blessing over people you pass in the store or parking lot.

*You can send a card or email to let someone know they are loved. 

*You can put a sign on your front door that says "Jesus loves you!" =)

There are so many ways that Jesus can shine His light through us. And as we each hold up our little candle flame, the light of Christ will shine brighter and brighter! 

My friend, you are irreplaceable in this world! Don't listen to Satan's lies. Remember who God says you are and bravely let your light shine!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your words. I loved it. And yes, let the light of the Lord shine through us. I feel that the times that I let the Lord use me, the times I open my heart I can feel His light and love. It is such an amazing feeling to feel that the Lord is using us for good, for His work and to bless the lives of other people and ours as well.

    How do you find the strength to keep shining the light of Christ in this dark world?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes and amen! I'm so grateful God uses us, frail vessels that we are, to shine His light and display His power and glory.

    It's God's Spirit and His Word that keep the light shining brightly in me. But practically speaking, I listen to messages by other Christians who inspire me, like Joseph Prince and Beth Moore, among others. I also watch Life Today, a Christian program where many different people share their stories and ministries. (I'll put links below.) I have two phone prayer partners I try to pray with every week. And my mom is a wonderful help and blessing in staying encouraged. =)

    God has given us so much with His Word, His Spirit, the Body of Christ, even technology so we can communicate with others and hear what other Christians are doing to make a difference in the world. Together we are like that lamp that shines brightly for all to see. =)

    http://lifetoday.org/
    http://www.josephprince.org/broadcast/ondemand/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so amazing. It's so important to have people with us in this journey.
    I would love to keep talking with you about this journey in life and our duty and joy to shine the light of Christ.

    If you would like to you can friend me of Facebook and we can talk more
    https://www.facebook.com/cookiecarvalho

    ReplyDelete