Thursday, October 9, 2014

Healthy Banana Bread Recipe


I remember eating banana bread a lot as a teenager. It was one of my favorite snacks. Then I had to give it up for many years because of my health challenges and diet changes. Thankfully I can now eat it again! 

So I thought I'd share the recipe I use now, which you can make with either gluten free flour or whole wheat flour. I still prefer the taste of the whole wheat, but the gluten free version is also pretty good. =) 


Healthy Banana Bread

scant 2 cups (not quite 2 full cups) flour
      Option 1- Bob's Red Mill gluten free baking flour
      Option 2 - Organic stone ground whole wheat flour (I use Bob's Red Mill brand, but there are other brands available as well.)
1 & 1/2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt 

2 organic eggs 
2-3 organic bananas (with the gluten free flour I use 3 bananas, with the whole wheat flour I prefer to use 2 bananas if they're large or 3 if they're small)
1 Tablespoon honey (If you like your bread sweeter, you can use more honey. This is plenty for my tastes.)
1/3 cup organic coconut oil
3/4--1 cup organic sour milk (Depending on which flour and how many bananas you use, you might want a little less or a little more liquid, so that's why it's 3/4--1 cup. Also, I make my own "sour milk" using organic raw milk from the farmer's market. Put the milk and about a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice in a glass measuring cup. Let it sit for about 10 minutes and it becomes "sour milk".) 

Combine dry ingredients. 
Add liquid ingredients. 
Stir and pour into glass baking dish greased with organic coconut oil. 
Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes. (If you use the gluten free baking flour, it's a little harder to tell if it's done. But it usually takes closer to 30 minutes.)
Serve it hot with a bit of organic raw butter. Yum! =)

Note: It also freezes well. I slice mine and put it in the freezer for when I need a quick snack. 

Ok, I think that's all. Any questions? Let me know. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment