Thursday, December 6, 2012

Tri-salts for Allergies


In 2008 my mom and I went to the Environmental Health Center in Dallas looking for answers. Sadly, it turned out not to be a helpful place for me. However, while there we did learn about one product that has been very useful - Tri-salts.

Tri-Salts is a powdered supplement that you can take to help reduce allergic reactions. Immediately when you feel a reaction starting, you can put some tri-salts in a little water and drink it. (I think the recommended dose is 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of tri-salts, though I usually only need 1/8 - 1/4 tsp) This has worked really well for me in heading off reactions before they get worse. 

Many people, when they feel a reaction coming on, often try to ignore it or hope it goes away. The usual result is that the reaction only gets worse. Instead of waiting, if you take the tri-salts immediately, it can help to stop the reaction in its tracks. (Of course, it also helps if you identify the allergen and remove it.)

Years ago I used the Alka-seltzer Gold product in a similar way. (But I believe it contains corn ingredients, so the tri-salts are better.) Thankfully, once I learned to use tri-salts immediately for a reaction, I didn't have to resort to Benedryl nearly as often. 

Tri-salts are a combination of calcium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate and potassium bicarbonate. They help to alkalize the body, which I believe is what helps to stop the reaction. (Because they are alkalizing, it's important to stay within the recommended dose on the label of each specific product, or you can upset your pH balance.)

For me tri-salts are helpful for food reactions as well as reactions to chemicals and other allergens. I always carry some with me so I can take it if I run into something troublesome. 

Here's the brand I use. Depending on your situation (assuming you're not allergic to the ingredients), tri-salts may be a helpful tool for you.


Question: What products have you found helpful for dealing with allergic reactions?

No comments:

Post a Comment