Friday, June 8, 2012

How Did It Happen?


People sometimes ask me what happened to cause the severe health problems I've experienced. 

While for some people with E.I. there was only one toxic exposure or one infection that crashed their health, for myself and most of us with E.I. it was a long series of damaging things. 

For me it's a long list (and even longer story). But here's the "short" version:

- 3 concussions in 3 years (as a teenager)
- toxic exposure to herbicides
- unknown parasite that I couldn't get rid of
- strong medication (to kill the parasite), which only made me worse
- traumatic event causing a mild form of PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)
- living in a house with a propane leak for 9 months
- getting heat exhaustion
- toxic exposure to pesticides and formaldehyde

(At this point my mom and I didn't think I would make it. But God graciously intervened, and over 2 years I gradually made a partial recovery.)

- unknown virus which led to Rheumatoid Arthritis, 
- more strong medications for the arthritis

(Here again, God graciously put the arthritis in remission and gave me many months of functional living.)

- another unknown virus that caused ongoing internal fever and recurring sinus infections
- a long-term medication that suppressed my immune system and adrenal function
- toxic exposure to epoxy and paint fumes
- repeated rounds of antibiotics 
- toxic exposure to asphalt 

(This was the worst point for me, just 3 years ago. I couldn't speak or move off the couch. And I had no hope of ever getting better. 
Since those dark days, God has taken me on an incredible journey of healing! Next week I'll share more about that.)

As you can see, there were a lot of factors in what caused E.I. for me. (This list is just the "high points".) It's hard to say why some people's health seems to bounce back from damaging experiences and others of us take years to recover. I don't have the scientific answer. 

But I know the ultimate answer is that God has a specific plan for each of us. He allows the experiences and challenges we need individually in order for Him to fulfill the bigger purpose and plan He has for our lives. I don't regret any of the hardships I've been through (though I would never have chosen them). I've seen and continue to see how God is using every detail of my life to accomplish something beautiful and good that will last for eternity.

And I know He will do the same for you. 

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose." -Romans 8:28

No comments:

Post a Comment