Thursday, April 16, 2015

My Experience With Reflexology


I'd heard of reflexology a few times over the last ten years, but I hadn't tried it until recently. And I'm very glad I finally tried it! 

The basic theory behind reflexology is that there are reflex points on the hands and feet that correspond to the different areas of the body. By working on the feet and/or hands, you can stimulate various organs, glands, etc.

The reflexologist I went to said that the main goals of reflexology are to reduce stress and to improve circulation. In fact, having a reflexology session is in some ways similar to having a full body massage. This enables the body to function better and heal more effectively.

There's a lot more I could explain about reflexology, but instead I want to share my experience with it.

In my first session, the therapist was careful to work very gently on my feet. I had told her a little of my health history and that I still have ongoing challenges. She could tell simply from feeling my feet that I have some chronic issues. She worked very gently and for only about 10 minutes on each foot. That was enough for the first session. I was very thirsty afterward, and she told me to drink a lot because my body would be detoxing. The next day I noticed that I felt a tiny bit better, so that was encouraging. 

During the second session, she was able to work my feet longer, about 15 minutes on each foot. The most tender part was the ball of my foot. I asked which area of the body that corresponded to and she said the lung/chest area. That made sense because I'd been having more trouble breathing lately. After the second session, I noticed I felt a little better for the next two days. 

In the third session, she worked my feet a little harder and a little longer, but it felt good. After that session, I had three really good days! I actually woke up by 8am, my brain was clearer and I had more energy. It was wonderful! =) 

By the time the fourth session came, my feet were telling me they wanted more reflexology! =) During the fourth session, she worked my feet quite hard. For the most part it felt good, but I could tell about half way through that the toxins were really flowing in my body. I think I let her work my feet too long and too hard, because after the fourth session, I had about 10 days of major detoxing. In the long run I'm sure it was a good thing, but it wasn't pleasant in the process. It probably would have been better to not have her work my feet quite so hard, and let my body do the detoxing a little slower. 

So that's how the first four sessions went for me. Now that I'm mostly through that detoxing cycle, I'll probably go back for some more reflexology. Only this time I'll be more aware of when to stop the session. 

The therapist who helped me said for anyone with chronic issues, she recommends two sessions a week for 4-6 weeks. After that, she usually reduces it to once a week, and then as needed. She said it varies from person to person, what they need. For me, she was addressing the whole-body chronic issues I have, so more sessions and more frequent is better. For others, they may just need help with a specific area like a weak gut, or a shoulder injury, etc. Reflexology can help with pain from injuries and such. My therapist was able to help her husband avoid knee surgery through doing reflexology on him. 

She also said that prices for sessions can vary from $30-60 depending on who you go to. 

There are several reflexology charts available online, though they vary somewhat in specifics. While you can learn from these, it's still best to have a certified therapist help you address any ongoing health challenges.

For more information about reflexology or to find a certified therapist in your area, you can check out this website: 

Well, that's all for now. If you have any questions or want to share your experience with reflexology, you can post a comment here. 


Other articles about reflexology:


No comments:

Post a Comment