Thursday, January 8, 2015

Don't Neglect the Beauty



About two years ago I planted this rosebush. It has been a continual source of joy for me, but this week when it bloomed again, it was stunning! I've never seen it this spectacular, just overflowing with roses! Every time I look out our kitchen window and see it, I can't help but smile. The beauty of my rosebush, just being what God made it to be, fills my heart with joy.

God created such an amazing world for us! There is beauty all around us. I know how easy it can be with chronic illness, or just the stress of life, to get bogged down in our struggles. I thank God that He has provided so much beauty that can touch our souls and contribute to healing, if we'll stop and receive.

We're all different, and some forms of creation or beauty speak to us in different ways. Personally, I'm touched by beautiful music. Sometimes I put on music then just close my eyes and listen. And I can feel it nourishing my body as well as my spirit. Sometimes a photo of beautiful scenery blesses me. Or the feel of a gentle breeze when I'm outside. 

There's an abundance of God's beautiful handiwork around us. What kinds of beauty nourish and inspire you? How often do you take time to enjoy them and receive their healing benefits? 

When we continually focus on problems, pain or even our "to do" list, it only perpetuates a cycle of stress. We need time away from thinking about those things. We need to experience wonder, awe, and appreciation of the blessings around us.

So whether you enjoy photography, music, being outdoors, or other things, don't neglect the beauty.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. -Philippians 4:8

I encourage you this week to plan a time to enjoy some of the beauty God has so sweetly placed in your life. =) 


P.S. If you need a little help, here are some possible sources of beauty to inspire you.  

*Amazing international photography from one of my friends:

*Beautiful music from one of my favorite groups, Celtic Woman:

*A photo gallery of Thomas Kinkade paintings. My mom and I have puzzles of several of his paintings, and we love looking at them for encouragement and inspiration:

No comments:

Post a Comment