Thursday, January 16, 2014

Peace in Surrender

Today I want to share a little short story I wrote a few years ago, as a result of my own journey from despair to surrender to hope. 


Surrender

For once, there was nothing she could do about it. Her body had betrayed her. No more serving others. No more pushing through the pain. She barely had strength to breathe.

“Katelyn?” Her husband roused her. “Time for another doctor’s appointment.”

She nodded. He carried her to the car. Her life seemed blurry, like the trees flashing by the window.

Out of the car. Into the clinic.

“…no idea what’s wrong…try these pills….”

Out of the clinic. Into the car. How long could this go on?

Home again. Sleep. Eat. Sleep. Pray. Yes, time to pray.

“God, I’ve served you for years. What are you doing to me?”

Silence.

“I’ve always helped others. Why isn’t there help for me?”

No good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly.

“Lord, what kind of answer is that? How can this be good?” Tears trickled down her face. “Please, Jesus. Help me believe it. If this is your good plan for me, help me accept it. Your will, not mine.”

The peace of surrender settled on her soul. Whatever happened, she was in His hands.

Days dragged by. No change.

Those who trust in me will not be disappointed.

“Yes, Lord. I’ll trust you.”

The doorbell rang. A cheerful, suntanned face appeared.

“Darcy?” Her sister, the jungle doctor, here?

“Yes, sister dear! Don’t worry.” She hugged Katelyn gently. “I’m here to take care of you. I don’t care what those doctors say. I know you’re fixable.”

Her sister’s joyful confidence gave her the gift of hope.

Fixable?

Katelyn smiled. “Thank you,” she whispered.

Darcy kissed her cheek. “You rest while I unpack.”

Katelyn gazed upward. “Thank you, Father – for Darcy, for whatever your plan is, for your peace. I trust you.”

She closed her eyes and slept. 


Having been through years of terrible suffering, I know the doubts and questions that assail us. Yet after all I've experienced and seen, I believe that most of us are indeed "fixable." That's why I keep going with this blog. I want to give you all the help, information, and encouragement I can. There is so much we can do to recover good health!

And for those who are, for different reasons, unable to experience recovery, God still gives hope. When we surrender our lives to Jesus, He gives us the promise of eternal life with Him - where there will be no more sickness, pain or tears.

I thank God that through surrender, we find peace, and receive the gift of hope.


For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. -John 3:16
He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away. -Revelation 21:4

No comments:

Post a Comment