Monday, June 17, 2013

I Can Enjoy Some Smells Again!


I spent so many years reacting not just to fragrances and chemical odors, but also to natural smells like food cooking, pollen, etc. 

Examples: 
-my mom used to have to cook her meals in the laundry room then eat in her bedroom so I wouldn't react to the smells. 
-if my mom went outside to check the mail, she'd have to get a shower when she came back in because of the mold/pollen smells on her skin.
-she couldn't eat mints or candy canes in the house....

Those days were pretty awful for both of us.

But now, I praise God that smells hardly bother me at all any more! And some smells I even enjoy! 

Like:
-banana bread baking in the oven
-the fragrance from our rosebush when it blooms
-aroma of fresh strawberries

It's wonderful not to be so sensitive to smells anymore. And it's even sweeter to be able to inhale a scent and actually enjoy it!

The sense of smell is a valuable gift. It keeps us aware of what is happening in our environment, with both good and bad things. It helps us record positive memories more strongly. It gives us a fuller experience of the world around us.

Believe it or not, smells are important to God. And Jesus is the best "aroma" there is. Those of us who follow Jesus now carry His pleasant "smell" in this world. 

But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place. -2 Corinthians 2:14
I don't think I'll ever again like the smell of perfumes or colognes. But I'm very grateful that I Can enjoy some smells again! 

And I hope that because of Jesus, my life will be a sweet aroma to those around me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment