Thursday, August 9, 2012

Recipe for Gluten-free Pancakes


For the last year or so I've been trying to eat less wheat, usually only once (or sometimes twice) a day. I've tried several alternative flours, but cooking with them can be a little tricky. Thankfully my mom is very inventive. =) 

I posted our recipe for delicious whole wheat Irish soda bread here

Today I want to share the recipe my mom came up with for blueberry pancakes - using gluten-free flour. And they're actually pretty tasty! 

Enjoy! =)


Gluten-free Blueberry Pancakes

- 2 cups flour -- we use "Bob's Red Mill: Gluten-free All Purpose Baking Flour" (It's available at most health food stores, and their website has a lot of information and more recipes http://www.bobsredmill.com/)
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg (we use organic eggs)
- 1/4 cup organic coconut oil
- 3/4 cup water (or more if needed)
- about 3/4 cup organic blueberries (or however many you want to add)

Mix dry ingredients. Then add egg, oil and water. Stir mixture, then add blueberries and stir again.

Fry in organic coconut oil in stainless steel skillet. (We always avoid teflon & non-stick pans because they're highly toxic.)

Makes about 6-8 pancakes (depending on size).



Question: Do you have a healthy 'alternative' recipe you'd like to share? Please post them in the comments. Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. My Daughter-in-Love is gluten free and feels so much better (tested as gluten sensitive, but thankfully not Celiacs disease). She's always experimenting, so I'll throw this recipe her way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it'll be helpful for her. There are other recipes on the Bob's Red Mill site too, though I haven't tried any of them personally. I'm very glad my mom is the master-baker! =) She can always figure out a good recipe.

      Delete
  2. I found several favorite gluten free recipes on www.celiac.com My FAVORITE PANCAKE recipe is made from a gluten free flour blend I make for myself. Here it is:

    1 C. Rice Flour
    1/2 C. tapioca flour
    1/4 C corn starch
    2 TBS sugar (or you can use STEVIA )
    1 TBS gluten free Baking powder
    1/2 teasp. salt
    1/2 teasp. xantham gum

    Mix the dry ingredients and store in the fridge in an airtight container or in a cool/dry place. When ready to use, I take:

    1 cup of pancake mix (above)
    1 egg
    3 TBS. oil (cold pressed is best but not a must)
    3/4 Cup milk (or use powder milk mixed in with the dry ingredients and add 3/4 cup water) You can probably use soy milk if you are lactose intolerant, too.

    Pour the liquid into the dry and mix. These pancakes are 5 STAR....light, fluffy, delicious! My husband likes them better than the wheat flour kind!

    This recipe is great for those who want to save money and make their own flour blends. I have another basic flour blend for everyday baking that is gluten free and I can substitute it for wheat flour in any recipe. It is:

    3 C white rice flour
    1 C brown rice flour
    2 C potato starch
    1 C corn starch
    1 C Soy flour or white bean flour (your choice)

    Mix and store in an airtight container and use as you would use wheat flour in any recipe...it works great!!

    - Ruth Patton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth! Thanks for taking the time to share this! I'm so glad you've found some good recipes! =)

      Delete
  3. Note: Generally speaking I recommend not using any corn or soy products as they are genetically modified. (You can find more information on GMO's here: http://www.beyondorganicinsider.com/search?q=genetically+modified )
    As far as I know almond milk and rice milk are safer alternatives to soy milk. However, if possible using organic raw milk is even better.

    ReplyDelete