Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New Year's Challenge

Here we are in a new year - time for making resolutions, setting goals, forming new plans....

This year I want to encourage you to do something that I believe will improve your health and also make a difference.
My challenge is for you to boycott products made in China.

Now, I have nothing against Chinese people. My problem is simply with the products that are made there.
I know a lot of people these days are boycotting made in China products. Most of them are doing it for political, economic, or humanitarian reasons. I'd like to add to that list the very important reason of health and safety.

For whatever reason (maybe poor quality control or greedy companies trying to cut corners...), in my experience, 99% of made in China products are highly toxic.

This may be hard for you to believe, but I've lived with the painful consequences. Think of me as the canary in the coal mine. If the canary keeled over, the miners knew they were in danger and had to get out of there fast. That's me. My body is super-sensitive to toxins.

Anything from notebooks to shoes to appliances made in China, that I've encountered have caused a serious, sometimes life-threatening, reaction in my body, taking days or even weeks to recover from.

As far as we can tell, made in China products have high levels of toxic chemicals such as mercury, lead, aluminum, formaldehyde, etc.

Oddly enough, I almost never have problems with products made in Central or South America, Europe or Japan. I occasionally have reactions to items made in India or Indonesia. But the worst by far is anything made in China.

The problem is that more and more companies are now outsourcing to China. If we as consumers don't send these companies a Financial message soon, it won't be long before we'll have no choice but to poison ourselves with toxic products or do without.

I know this kind of a boycott is inconvenient. Believe me, I've had my share of struggles trying to find safe products made elsewhere. But I also know that I don't care how hard it is, I'm committed to taking care of this body, God's temple. I will do everything I can to keep it from being poisoned by unnecessary toxins.

I'm challenging you to make the same commitment. Please join me in this boycott, and tell at least one other person about this information. Please do this for -
- your own health
- the sake of the people who work in those factories (I imagine they're dropping like flies from the constant toxic exposure)
- the sake of the children in this country (They have no idea about these things and are daily surrounded by toxic products. No wonder so many kids are sick, have ADD, or other problems.)
- and to send a message to those companies that we will not tolerate toxic products

Hosea 4:6 says, "My people are destroyed from lack of knowledge."

Please don't let ignorance about these things destroy your health or the health of those you love. It's time to take action. It's time to start reading tags and labels. It's time to 'talk with your wallet.' It's time to start protecting yourself and your family.

I hope you will join me. I hope together we will make a difference.

Sincerely,
-Joanna

.

1 comment:

  1. I already am!
    Well, to an extent. I will admit that I don't always check labels in my rush to get out of stores, and I'm not getting rid of things I already own.
    I have been attempting to quit buying things made in China for a long time, but I started to get serious about it late last year.
    I'll be even more vigilant now.
    :)

    ReplyDelete