Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Slaves or Partners?

Unfortunately, I think most people today treat their bodies like slaves. They do whatever they want to them (bad eating habits, little sleep, etc.) and then expect their bodies to still do everything they tell them to. If their bodies try to protest it is ignored. They give very little time to taking care of their bodies or considering what they really need.
It's sad.

I can say this, because I used to be like this. I used to think my body was supposed to do what I wanted it to and not bother me. I didn't listen to my body, I didn't consider its needs. So it crashed. Then I learned to pay attention.

So if you're reading this and your body hasn't crashed yet, this would be a good time to evaluate your thinking toward your body and maybe make some changes.

God said our body is HIS temple, His dwelling place (Eph. 2:22, 1 Cor. 6:19-20). It is not our slave. I like to think of my body more as my partner. Without my body functioning properly I am limited in what I can do, thus limited in what God can do through me.

Over the last several years I've learned to listen to my body. It may sound a little weird to you, but it's true that your body will try to communicate to you when it needs rest, water, healthy food, exercise, etc. The hard part is learning to listen and then to act. Make your health a priority, not for selfish reasons, but because you want to be a good steward or caretaker of the body God has given you.

Now it's true that we shouldn't let our bodies rule our lives (1 Cor. 6:12-13). If we learn how to work with our bodies and how to be prayerful about what we do, I don't think we'll have to worry that. I believe God will give us the strength we need to do the things He's called us to, and that includes taking GOOD care of our bodies.

Your body is a gift from God. Learn to treat it like one.

No comments:

Post a Comment